Monday, April 23, 2012

Kristi's Bible at Tiffs

When I decided to do this project, I thought it would be a great way to meet people.  However, I thought that after the conversation of getting to know them, that would be the end of it.  I did not realize that I would actually form close relationships with these people.  They became friends that I can rely on, vent to, or grab Taco Bell at 1 in the morning.  The first person that I decided to write a story about is Kristi.  Talking to Kristi was actually a dare.  She was sitting at a table at the bar, with shots spilled across the scratched wood.  Sitting in front of her was a notepad scribbled with writing and the Bible.  The pages were filled with every imaginable highlighter color available, and she was intent on reading the Holy Word.  I slid my way into the seat across from her, and said, "Hi, I'm Tylere.  This probably seems weird, but I was wondering if you would answer some questions for me?"  She slid her glasses off and sent a warm smile my way.  I knew from right there that this was the start to a great friendship.  We discussed the Bible, our beliefs, and how we both had moments where following our faith became difficult: especially in college.  We talked for about 45 minutes, and as the bar was closing, we exchanged numbers.  Kristi didn't hesitate to use my number, as she texted me that night inviting me to church the next morning.  Ever since then we would go to church together, call each other about anything, attend Monday night study sessions, and encourage each other to stay true to our faith.  Kristi was baptized last Sunday, and she will be graduating this year.  It may have seemed strange that she was reading a Bible at Tiffs, but it created a friendship that will last a lifetime.  When I needed someone to be there for me, God gave me Krisi.

No comments:

Post a Comment